Members of the St Andrew's Ambulance Association with an ambulance at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, c 1920.
The Association was formed in 1882 by some Glaswegians concerned by the growing numbers of people injured in road accidents or at work, who were unable to obtain first aid. Sick or injured men and women were often unable to make their own ways to hospitals for treatment.
In June 1882 the Association's constitution was drawn up. First aid training was provided to over 500 members in the first year alone, and the first ambulance was was purchased. The Association was granted a Royal Charter of Incorporation in 1899, by which time over 47,000 people had attended classes and obtained training certificates. More than 3,000 calls were made for St Andrew's ambulance wagons during the year 1899-1900.
Reference: PP.1990.13.1 / SP.2002.23
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
ambulances, first aid, Royal Infirmary, St Andrew's Ambulance Association, volunteers, women