The offices of the Daily Record & Mail in Renfield Lane, 1913.
In 1901 Lord Northcliffe bought Glasgow's first daily newspaper, the North British Daily Mail (founded in 1847), changing its name to the Glasgow Daily Mail and later to the Daily Record & Mail. Northcliff shifted the political stance of the traditionally Liberal newspaper to the right. The Daily Mirror group acquired the newspaper in 1955, changing its name once more, to the Daily Record, and bringing it into line with the broadly Labour-supporting editorial policy followed by the parent newspaper.
Reference: PP.1986.109 / SP.2002.32
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Dailt Record, Daily Record & Mail, Glasgow Daily Mail, newspaper publishers, newspapers, North British Daily Mail, offices