A receipt for James McEwan's subscription to the Tontine Reading Room, 1841.
The Glasgow Tontine Society opened its building on Trongate in 1784, with a coffee room, hotel and reading room. Periodicals and local, national and French newspapers were available to subscribers. The Tontine Building was closed in 1868 when it was refurbished as a department store by Moore, Taggart & Co.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
department stores, libraries, Moore, Taggart & Co, receipts, subscription libraries, subscriptions, Tontine Building, Tontine Coffee Room, Tontine Reading Room, tontines, warehouses