An invitation to the opening of the Bridgeton Working Men's Club in 1899.
In 1865 some local employers subscribed money to set up a club for Bridgeton's working men. The club originally occupied a building in Canning Street, Calton, but this was acquired by the North British Railway Co (for £9,500) in 1897. New premises were built in Landressy Street, and these opened in 1899.
The club provided a library and a variety of games and entertainments as well as food and drink, although no alcohol was served in the premises.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Bridgeton Working Men's Club, invitations, libraries, Lord Provosts, North British Railway Co, opening ceremonies, self-improvement, working men's clubs