The Buck's Head Hotel was built on the corner of Arygle and Dunlop Streets in 1757, originally as a mansion house for John Murdoch (1709-1776). Murdoch was a tobacco lord who was elected provost on three occasions (in 1746, 1750 and 1758) following in the footsteps of his father Peter.
In 1777 the mansion was sold to Thomas Hopkins, another merchant, and in 1790 Hopkins' son James sold the building to a vintner, Colin McFarlane. McFarlane converted the house to a hotel, called the Buck's Head, and it became one of the most fashionable in the city. It closed in 1830 and the Buck's Head warehouse was built on the site in 1862, designed by the architect Alexander "Greek" Thomson.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Buck's Head Hotel, Buck's Head warehouse, carriages, hotels, mansion houses, mansions, merchants, Provosts, shops, streetscenes, vintners, warehouses