An attendance certificate issued by Govan Parish School Board in 1904. The parish of Govan extended far beyond the boundaries of the burgh, and included Govanhill to the east and Hillhead to the north. The Govan Parish School Board was one of six in Glasgow. Primary school children were taught reading, writing, arithmetic, drawing, singing, physical exercises, nature knowledge, English (which included grammar, composition and memorising poetry) geography, history and (for girls) needlework.
This attendance certificate states that Georgina Anderson, aged 10, attended Govanhill Public School 401 times out of a possible 419, and made satisfactory progress with her studies and impressed the headmaster with her excellent conduct and diligence.
Reference: PP.1977.66.183 / SP.2000.79 (Govan)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
attendance certificates, children, education, Govan Parish School Board, Govanhill Public School, primary schools, school boards