The Partick Fire Brigade and a fire pump, c 1900
The Brigade was created in the 1870s with a fire station on Wilson Street (now Gullane Street) and complement of five men. By 1912 the fire station had been relocated in Hozier Street and the Brigade consisted of a firemaster, a deputy firemaster and ten firemen. That year it acquired a motorised pump from the Halley Co of Yoker, the very latest in fire fighting technology. Partick was absorbed by neighbouring Glasgow in 1912, however, and the pump was removed to Ingram Street Station to the indignation of the former burgh's population. The vehicle was subsequently returned to Partick Fire Station.
Reference: OG.1933.22.bp / SP.2000.74
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
fire engines, fire fighters, fire pumps, firemasters, firemen, Partick Fire Brigade, Partick Fire Station