An invitiation to the ceremony held to mark the laying of the cornerstone of the Great Western Bridge, 1890.
By the late 19th century it was becoming clear that the bridge built at Kelvinbridge in 1841 could not cope with the ever increasing flow of traffic along Great Western Road. Construction on the new Great Western Bridge started in 1889 and the cornerstone was laid the following year. The bridge was completed in 1891. The engineers responsible for the project were Bell & Miller, while William Arrol & Co supplied the steelwork.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Bell & Miller, bridges, ceremonies, church steeples, churches, cornerstones, Great Western Bridge, Lansdowne Parish Church, spires, William Arrol & Co