A share certificate issued by the Glasgow Royal Botanic Institution and purchased by Sir James Aichieson in 1860.
Thomas Hopkirk founded the society in 1816 and campaigned for the establishment of botanical gardens in Glasgow. The University of Glasgow offered financial assistance and wealthy citizens also subscribed to the project. The following year the Botanic Gardens were laid out in Sandyford, off Sauchiehall Street.
The society was incorporated as the Glasgow Royal Botanic Institution in 1819, primarily to raise funds for the gardens. Members were allowed free access whereas the general public were only allowed to visit on certain days, on payment of an entry fee. In 1842 the gardens were relocated in Hillhead, off Great Western Road.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Botanic Gardens, botanical gardens, gardens, Glasgow Royal Botanic Institution, share certificates