A bill sent to Mr Scott by Glasgow Water Works, 1821.
In 1806 an Act of Parliament was passed permitting the setting up of Glasgow Water Works. James Watt and Thomas Telford gave advice on the project which aimed to pump water from the River Clyde into reservoirs at Dalmarnock. The water was filtered and then pumped into central reservoirs in Sydney Street, Drygate and Rottenrow, from where it was supplied to customers. The scheme worked well for customers in the eastern parts of the city but less well for the western areas, and did not cover the south side of the city. From 1834 onwards there were calls for a public water supply to be managed by the town council and in 1859 it began supplying water to the public from Loch Katrine.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Glasgow Water Works, water bills, water supplies