A 1994 aerial view of Park Circus, in the foreground, with the view south to the River Clyde.
In 1851 Charles Wilson was commissioned to produce plans for new buildings on the crest and slopes of the hill at Woodlands. He designed Park Circus in 1855 and it was built between 1857 and 1858. The architecture in this area is generally in the form of French-roofed terraces which follow the contour of the hillside.
Kelvingrove Park (seen here to the right of Park Circus) was purchased for the city by the Corporation in 1852 and laid out by Sir Joseph Paxton.
The large white-roofed building by the Clyde is the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre. Opposite the SECC on the south side of the river is the derelict site of Prince's Dock.
Reproduced with the permission of the West of Scotland Archaeology Service
aerial views, houses, Kelvingrove Park, offices, parks, Prince's Dock, River Clyde, rivers, Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre, SECC