The quays at Shieldhall Sewage Works, which was opened in 1910 and rebuilt in 1980.
Sludge boats collected the sludge residue from treated sewage at Shieldhall and the Dalmuir works, and carried it out to a deep sea dumping area between the Isles of Bute and Arran. However, a European Union directive banned the dumping of sewage at sea because of its adverse affect on the environment, and the the sludge boats sailed for the last time on Hogmanay 1998.
Reproduced with the permission of the West of Scotland Archaeology Service
pollution, River Clyde, sewage treatment plants, Shieldhall Sewage Works, sludge boats