The stable block at Castlemilk House, built in 1794.
In the 15th century Cassilton Tower tower house was built at Castlemilk by the Stuart family. They were related to Mary, Queen of Scots, and she stayed there the night before the Battle of Langside in May, 1568. During the 18th and 19th centuries a larger mansion house was built up around the tower house and other buildings including the stable block were added.
Castlemilk House was inhabited until the 20th century. The heir to the last Laird of Castlemilk was killed in the First World War and subsequently the grounds and buildings were sold to Glasgow Corporation. The mansion was demolished in 1969 but the stables continued to be used by Glasgow City Council Parks Department as a plant nursery and offices until the building was set on fire by vandals in 1994. Recently the Cassilton Trust has investigated ways to restore the building.
Reproduced with the permission of the West of Scotland Archaeology Service
Battle of Langside, Cassilton Tower, Cassilton Trust, Castlemilk House, First World War, Glasgow City Council Parks Department, Laird of Castlemilk, mansion houses, mansions, offices, plant nurseries, stables, tower houses