A National Bank of Scotland cheque drawn on the account of James Gibb, a fish auctioneer at the Fish Market in Clyde Street.
The National Bank of Scotland was formed in 1825 in Edinburgh. It was one of Scotland's largest joint-stock banks; that is, there were a large number of shareholders who were personably liable for any losses that their business incurred. The National Bank was acquired by Lloyds Bank in 1918.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bank cheques, banking, banks, fish auctioneers, Fish Market, fish merchants, National Bank of Scotland