A certificate for ten preference shares in the Glasgow Athenaeum, purchased in 1894 by Alexander Findlay of West Nile Street. Each share cost £1.
The Glasgow Athenaeum was founded in 1847, and in 1888 moved to premises in St George's Place (now Nelson Mandela Place). The new building had a library and a reading room, and lectures and classes were provided on such diverse subjects as science, philosophy, history, geology, English grammar, French, German, music and art. Classes were open to women as well as men. In 1893 the building was extended into Buchanan Street and a restaurant, theatre, concert hall and gymnasium were added to its facilities.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow city Council, Glasgow Museums
concert halls, continuing education, education, Glasgow Athenaeum, gymnasia, gymnasiums, libraries, preference shares, reading-rooms, theatres, women