The 12th century ring-work defence at Crookston Castle.
Sir Robert de Croc of Neilston was granted the lands of the Leven Valley by the High Steward of Scotland c 1168. He built a wooden pallisade around the castle buildings (which were also probably built of timber) on a knoll, surrounded by a wide oval-shaped ditch with a counterscarp bank (a raised earthwork on the outer side of the ditch). The wooden buildings were replaced with the stone tower house around 1400, and the ruins of this building survive today.
Reproduced with the permission of the West of Scotland Archaeology Service
castles, counterscarp banks, ditches, earthworks, ring-works