An aerial photograph of Partick looking north towards Hyndland, taken in the 1990s. Dumbarton Road can be seen running across the bottom of the photograph from left to right. Clearly visible there is Partick Methodist Church, built in 1880 by William F McGibbon. The red brick building with a campanile style tower at the bottom of the image is the Partick Free Fire Brigade Station, built in 1906 and now converted into housing.
Crow Road and Partick Station goods yard can be seen to the right. In the far distance beyond the railway line is the nine-storey Gartnavel General Hospital, built 1968-1973, and the older Gartnavel Royal Hospital, built 1841-1843. On the left, Thornwood Avenue runs north from the Thornwood roundabout (just out of the picture) to meet Crow Road near Cross Park.
Reproduced with the permission of the West of Scotland Archaeology Service
aerial views, campaniles, churches, Cross Park, fire stations, Gartnavel General Hospital, hospitals, parks, Partick Free Fire Brigade Station, Partick Methodist Church, Partick Station goods yard, railway goods yards, railways