North Spiers Wharf at Port Dundas on the Forth & Clyde Canal, c 1990s. The smaller Georgian building on the right was built c 1812 as the offices of the Forth & Clyde Navigation Co. Beside it are the former City of Glasgow Grain Mills and Stores.
The Grain Mills were built for John Currie & Co. The six storey block was erercted c 1851, the other buildings in 1869-1870. Originally the mills had twenty pairs of mill stones and a 100 horse power condensing engine. Built high on a hill above the city, the buildings command excellent views across the west of the city and the mills were converted to flats in 1989.
Reproduced with the permission of the West of Scotland Archaeology Service
canals, City of Glasgow Grain Mills and Stores, flats, Forth & Clyde Navigation Co, Forth and Clyde Canal, houses, John Currie & Co, mills, offices, ports, wharves