The main concourse at Glasgow Central Station, c 1990.
Central Station was built by the Caledonian Railway Co and opened in 1879. However the distinctive curved wooden concourse buildings were designed and installed between 1899 and 1905 under the direction of Engineer-in-chief Donald Matheson, who believed that curved buildings and rounded corners helped prevent crowding and bottlenecks.
The buildings originally housed waiting rooms, a restaurant and ticket offices, with the famous indicator boards above. They were extensively renovated during the 1980s to provide an attractive mix of shops and food and drink outlets.
Reproduced with the permission of the West of Scotland Archaeology Service
bars, concourses, engineers-in-chief, Glasgow Central Station, indicator boards, pubs, railway termini, restaurants, shops, stations