Men at work in Alexander Stephen & Sons' Linthouse Engine Works in the late 19th or early 20th century. The Linthouse Shipbuilding Yard opened in the 1860s and when the Engine Works were completed in 1872 it became one of only three shipyards in Glasgow to have the facility. Stephen & Sons ceased to be independent in 1968 when it became part of Upper Clyde Shipbuilders. The Engine Works were dismantled in 1988 and moved to the Scottish Maritime Museum at Irvine.
Reproduced with the permission of the West of Scotland Archaeology Service