The engine shed at Alexander Stephen & Sons' Linthouse Shipyard Yard in a state of dereliction. The shed was built in 1872 and enlarged on three occasions in the early 1900s. The frame was made of cast iron and the huge space inside the building could easily accommodate large sections of machinery.
In 1988 the Engine Works was dismantled and re-erected at the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine.
Reproduced with the permission of the West of Scotland Archaeology Service