Passengers board a Spartan Cruiser II at Renfrew Airport in the 1930s.
The first scheduled air services from Renfrew Airport were started in 1933 by Midland & Scottish Air Ferries. Passenger services continued (although the names of the airlines changed) until the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939. In addition to passengers, the planes also carried mail and this photograph shows the first airmail service to Campbeltown from Glasgow. A Royal Mail van is parked by the plane.
Reference: T2002-12 4-064
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
airline passengers, airlines, airplanes, airports, mail vans, Midland & Scottish Air Ferries, Renfrew Airport, Royal Mail, Spartan Cruiser II, women