A poster advertising "New York from Glasgow by the Anchor Line", 1920.
The shipping company N & R Handyside & Co was established in 1838 and became Handysides & Henderson in 1855. The following year the company inaugurated a new mail, cargo and passenger service, the "Anchor Line of Steam Packets" between Glasgow and New York. A host of new services from Glasgow and Liverpool soon followed, across the Atlantic, to the Baltic, the Mediterranean and to India and the Far East. In 1899 Handysides & Henderson became the Anchor Line (Henderson Brothers) and in 1911 it came under the control of the famous Cunard Steamship Co. The company was forced into liquidation in 1935 and its assets transferred to Anchor Line (1935).
The poster shows the view from Manhattan as one of the company's liners sails into the harbour past the Statue of Liberty.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
advertisements, Anchor Line (1935), Anchor Line (Henderson Brothers), Anchor Line of Steam Packets, Cunard Steamship Co, Handyside & Henderson, Handysides & Henderson, harbours, liners, N & R Handyside & Co, posters, shipping lines, ships, skyscrapers, Statue of Liberty, travel