The Sir Charles Parsons is a bulk carrier built at the Fairfield Shipyard by Govan Shipbuilders in 1985. She is named for the British engineer who developed the steam turbine and built the first turbine-driven ship in 1897.
The yard was originally owned by the Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co and was nationalised in 1977. In 1988 it was acquired by the Norwegian Kvaerner Group, and was subsequently acquired by BAE Systems.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
BAE Systems, bulk carriers, Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Fairfield Shipyard, Govan Shipbuilders, Kvaerner Group, shipbuilding, ships, shipyards, Sir Charles Parsons