Sauchiehall Street, looking east towards Charing Cross Mansions, probably in the late 1890s.
On the left are the Grand Hotel and a branch post office, on the site now occupied by Fountain House. In front of the building is the Cameron Memorial Fountain, built in 1896 in memory of the newspaper proprietor and MP Sir Charles Cameron. The two open-topped horse-drawn trams help date the photograph to 1901 or earlier, as the tramways were electified after this date.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Charing Cross Mansions, Fountain House, Grand Hotel, horse-drawn trams, hotels, post offices, streetscenes, women