The twin entrances to Coplawhill tram depot in Albert Drive. The entrance on the left with overhead wires is for electric tram cars. The other entrance is for horse-drawn cars.
The Corporation had decided in 1897 to convert the tram system to electric traction and the following year the Springburn route was the first to be electrified. The last horse-drawn tram service was withdrawn in 1901.
In 1964 the Coplawhill depot was converted to house the Glasgow Transport Museum and after the museum was relocated in the Kelvin Hall in 1988 it became the Tramway Theatre.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Coplawhill tram depot, electric trams, Glasgow Corporation Tramways, horse-drawn trams, open-topped trams, theatres, tram depots, Tramway Theatre