The Gordon Highlander, also known as "The Sodjer", in 1960. The loco was built in 1920 by the North British Locomotive Co at their Hyde Park works in Springburn and given the loco number 49. It had been ordered by the Great North of Scotland Railway to replace locos worn out during the First World War.
The Gordon Highlander worked on routes in the north east of Scotland, occasionally taking the Royal Train from Aberdeen to Ballater. After being taken out of regular service in 1958 it was used to run special excursions for British Rail. This photograph was taken on a trip to Oban in 1960. Finally in 1966, it was donated to the Museum of Transport, where it is now on display.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
British Rail, Gordon Highlander, Great North of Scotland Railway, Hyde Park Works, Museum of Transport, No 49, North British Locomotive Co, steam locomotives, The Sodjer, trains