The Stag was built in 1854 by William Denny & Bros of Dumbarton for the Glasgow firm G & J Burns and worked on the Scotland to Ireland passenger service. During the American Civil War (1861-1865) she was used as a blockade runner, carrying food and goods to ports in the southern states of the Confederacy, in defiance of the Union blockade.
After the war the Stag worked as a coal ship in Australia.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
American Civil War, blockade runners, coal ships, G & J Burns, paddle steamers, passenger ships, ships, Stag, William Denny & Bros