Lairds Loch moored beside the Seaman's Home at the Broomielaw.
Lairds Loch was built in 1944 at Ardrossan Dockyard for the Burns & Laird Line. She was one of the last Burns & Laird ships to sail regularly from Glasgow to Ireland, departing at 7 pm every night to Londonderry. The service ended in 1966 and she then spent three years working on the Glasgow to Dublin route. Eventually she was sold to an Israeli company. Renamed Hey Daroma, she worked in the Red Sea until she sank in 1970.
There is a model of the ship in the collections of the Museum of Transport.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Burns & Laird Line, Hey Daroma, Lairds Loch, Museum of Transport, passenger ships, River Clyde, rivers, Seaman's Home, Seaman's Mission, shipping