Steam ships are still outnumbered by sailing ships in this photograph of Broomielaw Quay, c 1870.
In the foreground is the Penguin, which sailed in G & J Burns' fleet. Built by Tod & MacGregor of Meadowside, Partick, in 1864, she was a single screw steamer which started her working life on the Clyde to Liverpool route. Later she sailed on the Glasgow to Belfast crossing. In 1878, the Penguin was sold to the Union Steam Ship Co of New Zealand. Sadly, she sank in 1909 in the Cook Strait with a loss of seventy-five lives.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Broomielaw Quay, G & J Burns, Glasgow Harbour, Penguin, River Clyde, sailing ships, steam ships, steamers, Tod & MacGregor, Union Steam Ship Co