Electrical plant awaiting installation at Pinkston Power Station.
Pinkston Power Station was built to generate electricity for Glasgow's electric tram fleet. It was commissioned in 1899, and when it opened in 1901 it was believed to be Europe's largest power station. Pinkston was linked by underground cables to a distribution system which included five sub-stations located across Glasgow.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
electrical plant, electricity, Glasgow Corporation Tramways, Pinkston Power Station, power stations, trams