Caledonian Railway Co locomotive no 123 at Yorkhill in the 1980s. The loco was built by Neilson & Co at their Hydepark Works in Springburn. She had an unusual wheel arrangement of 4-2-2, but nevertheless won a gold medal at the Edinburgh International Exhibition in 1886. Once in regular service, no 123 worked on the Carlisle to Edinburgh section of the West Coast route. This section was just over 100 miles long and included steep climbs up to Beattock (1014 feet) and Cobbinshaw (900 feet).
The West Coast and East Coast trains were in constant competition to reduce travelling times from London to Scotland, and this became known as the "Great Race North". No 123 was one of the racing trains and often managed a speed of 56 miles per hour. Also known as the Caley Single, no 123 is now on display in the Museum of Transport.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Caledonian Railway Co, Edinburgh International Exhibition, 1886, Great Race North, Hydepark Works, Museum of Transport, Neilson & Co, steam locomotives, The Caley Single, trains