Highland Railway locomotive 103 at Yorkhill, c 1980s. The loco was built by Sharp, Stewart & Co in 1894 at their Atlas Works in Springburn, one of a batch of fifteen designed by David Jones, the Locomotive Superintendant of the Highland Railways. Highland locos faced more gruelling conditions than most, hauling heavy goods trains across rugged countryside in the north of Scotland. Jones designed engines with large cylinders and a high boiler pressure, and they were the most powerful locos in Britain when they were introduced. They were also the first trains to have the 4-6-0 wheel arrangement.
103 worked in active service until 1934, when she was withdrawn for preservation. In 1966 she was presented to the Museum of Transport by British Railways. She is painted in the original colours of the Highland Railway.
Reference: 20/12: 12
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Atlas Works, Highland Railway Co, Museum of Transport, Sharp, Stewart & Co, steam locomotives, trains