Queen's Dock in the 1950s, looking north to the University of Glasgow on Gilmorehill. The dock has been in-filled and the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre built on the site.
Hopper barges belonging to the Clyde Navigation Trust are moored in the foreground. These vessels were sometimes known as belonging to the "Skye Navy" because so many of the men who worked on the ships were from the Highlands and Islands. Behind the extensive railway sidings is the long tenement sweep of St Vincent Crescent, laid out in 1849. Behind the University is the distinctive hump of Dumgoyne at the western end of the range of the Campsie Hills.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Clyde Navigation Trust, cranes, docks, hopper barges, Queen's Dock, railway sidings, railways, River Clyde, Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre, SECC, Skye Navy, tenements, University of Glasgow