An advertisement for Neilson, Reid & Co, early 1900s.
The company built the Hydepark Locomotive Works in Springburn in 1860. The new works name was taken from Hyde Park Street in Finnieston, where the company had previously been located. Walter Neilson was a sleeping partner in the firm and Henry Dubs was the managing partner.
Soon after the move to Springburn, Dubs left to open his own locomotive works in the south side of the city and James Reid took his place at the Hydepark Works. Reid and Neilson did not have a good working relationship and in 1876 Neilson left. He later started up the Clyde Locomotive Co, but was unable to make a success of the venture. Reid retained the Hydepark Works and changed the company name to Neilson, Reid & Co.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
advertisements, Clyde Locomotive Co, Hydepark Locomotive Works, locomotive builders, Neilson & Co, Neilson, Reid & Co, steam engines, steam locomotives, trains