View from the swing bridge at Queen's Dock, June 1878.
This photograph illustrates the progress of work on the construction of the dock, which was begun in 1872. The tidal basin opened in August 1877 and the dock was finally completed in 1880.
The swing bridge is in the foreground of this view and a cargo of casks surround the lamp standard below. There is a dredger and a barge in the water in the middle distance and cranes and railway waggons can be seen on the construction site behind. Steam and sailing boats are tied up at the quay on the right.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
barges, basins, casks, cranes, docks, dredgers, Queen's Dock, sailing boats, ships, steam boats, swing bridges