The start of the 1955 Monte Carlo rally in Blythswood Square.
The Scottish start for the Monte Carlo Rally had been in John O'Groats but was subsequently moved to Blythswood Square, the home of the Royal Scottish Automobile Club, which oversees all rallying in Scotland.
This photograph shows drivers setting off for Monte Carlo. The car turning the corner seems to be a Humber Imperial. The other two cars are an Austin and a Riley Pathfinder. At this time the rally was open to all, and anyone who had the time and the money could enter.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Blythswood Square, car rallies, Monte Carlo rally, motor cars, RAC Club, rally driving, Royal Scottish Automobile Club