The Glasgow Underground maintenance depot at Broomloan Road in the 1950s.
The Glasgow District Subway Co opened its underground line at the end of 1896, with twin tunnels completing a circuit of 6 and a half miles beneath the city centre and the neighbouring burghs to the south and west. The maintenance depot was built at Broomloan Road in Govan. As the tracks leading into the depot were at the same height as the rest of the underground system, an overhead gantry crane was installed to lift carriages into the ground level workshops.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Glasgow Corporation Transport, Glasgow District Subway, Glasgow Underground, maintenance depots, subways, underground carriages, underground trains, workshops