Queen's Dock under construction, 1878.
The dock was built on land acquired by the Clyde Navigation Trust in the 1870s, including the site of the Stobcross Yard originally owned by Barclay, Curle & Co. This photograph shows a general view of the dock taken while the boulder clay was being removed. Parts of the west and south walls are visible along with two cranes, including crane no 1. The dock was completed in March, 1880.
With the decline in shipping traffic in Glasgow Harbour, Queen's Dock became redundant. In November 1977 it was filled in using rubble from the demolition of St Enoch Station. The Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre has since been built on the site.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Barclay, Curle & Co, Clyde Navigation Trust, construction sites, cranes, docks, horse-drawn wagons, labourers, navvies, Queen's Dock, Scottish Exhibition & Conference Centre, SECC, site railways, St Enoch Station, Stobcross Yard