Building Pinkston Power Station c 1900.
Glasgow Corporation Tramways began with horse-drawn cars in 1894, but soon decided to switch to electricity. The Corporation planned to have the tramways electrified to coincide with the opening in 1901 of the International Exhibition at Kelvingrove and built a power station at Pinkston by the Forth and Clyde Canal to generate the electricity required for the scheme. It was fuelled by coal delivered by the North British and the Caledonian Railway Cos to the station's own sidings.
Pinkston and its sub-stations subsequently powered the city’s trolleybuses and the Glasgow Underground, as well as its trams. It was operated by the Corporation for fifty-seven years, until it was handed over to the South of Scotland Electricity Board in 1958.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Caledonian Railway Co, Forth and Clyde Canal, Glasgow Corporation Tramways, Glasgow District Subway, North British Railway Co, Pinkston Power Station, South of Scotland Electricity Board, SSEB, trams, trolley buses, Underground