Central Fire Station, Ingram Street, c 1906.
In 1906, Glasgow Fire Brigade bought their first motor pumps from Merryweather of London,one of which is shown on the right of this photograph. The Merryweather contrasts with the old style Shand Mason steamer on the left. Steamers cost more to run than the motor pumps as they required not only coal to fuel the boilers but the purchase and care of the horses which pulled them. During the early 1900s steamers were phased out and replaced by the more cost-efficient and modern motor pumps.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Central Fire Station, firefighting, firemen, Glasgow Fire Brigade, Merryweather, Merryweather & Son, motor pumps, Shand Mason, steamers