Loading locomotives at Prince's Dock in Govan.
The North British Locomotive Co was founded by the amalgamation of three of Glasgow's leading locomotive builders in 1903. It was reputedly the world's largest locomotive builder, with large works at Springburn and at Polmadie. Locos bound for overseas markets were hauled through the city streets and loaded on to ships using giant dock-side cranes.
William Kerr & Co was one of the haulage firms employed to haul locos to the docks, using steam traction engines for the job. Two of the engines can be seen here: Clyde (on the left) and Lord Roberts.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
cranes, docks, North British Locomotive Co, Prince's Dock, ships, steam locomotives, steam traction engines, trains, transport, William Kerr & Co