Clydeholm shipyard in the 1920s.
John Barclay started a shipbuilding business in 1818. The business grew as the Clyde shipbuilding industry developed, eventually becoming Barclay, Curle & Co in 1863. The shipyard at Clydeholm had been purchased in 1855 because the firm wanted to build bigger ships than their yard at Stobcross could handle.
In the 1920s Barclay, Curle & Co built a number of ships for the British India Co, though it is not clear which one is shown in this photograph. Also on the river is the paddle steamer Flying Scotsman, a tug owned by the Clyde Shipping Co, and a Ross & Marshall puffer.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Barclay, Curle & Co, British India Co, Clyde Shipping Co, Clydeholm shipyard, River Clyde, Ross & Marshall, shipbuilding, ships, shipyards, tugs