The Clydeholm shipyard in 1959.
John Barclay began building wooden sailing ships at Stobcross in 1818. In 1845, Robert Curle became a partner in the firm Barclay, Curle & Co and two years later they began to build iron ships. In 1855 they acquired land at Whiteinch on which they built the Clydeholm yard and established an excellent reputation building passenger and cargo ships for owners all over the world and offering one of the largest ship repair facilities in Britain. In 1912 the firm was effectively taken over by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson.
The last ship was launched from Clydeholm in 1967.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Barclay, Curle & Co, Clydeholm shipyard, cranes, River Clyde, shipbuilding, ships, shipyards