Clutha No 10 passing the shipbuilding and repair yard of John Shearer & Son near the entrance of Queen's Dock at Stobcross, and the Italianate hydraulic pumping station which is today the main feature at the western end of the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre car park.
The Cluthas were passenger ferries operated by the Clyde Navigation Trust. No 10 could carry 360 passengers. When it entered service in 1891, the Cluthas ran every seven and a half minutes on the round trip from Victoria Bridge to Shieldhall.
After 1900, facing competition from the city’s trams and subway, the Cluthas became unprofitable and the service was discontinued in 1903. No 10 was purchased by the Admiralty and transfered to the River Medway.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Clutha No 10, Cluthas, docks, hydraulic pumping stations, Italianate, John Shearer & Son, passenger ferries, pumphouses, Queen's Dock, River Clyde, Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre, SECC, swing bridges