A British United Airways airplane on the tarmac at Glasgow Airport, Abbotsinch, in 1966.
In 1933 the City of Glasgow 602 Squadron set up base at Abbotsinch. Over the years Abbotsinch was used by the RAF and also by the Royal Navy but military use ended in 1963 and the site was redeveloped for civilian use.
Glasgow Airport opened on the 2 May 1966, replacing nearby Renfrew as Glasgow’s main airport.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
airplanes, airports, British United Airways, Glasgow Airport