A woman cutting the weft blanket at James Templeton & Co’s factory in Bridgeton. Templeton’s made chenille carpets (machine-made tufted carpets that provided alternatives to the more expensive Axminsters) from 1839 until 1970.
James Templeton (1802-1885) and William Quiglay patented a new method of making soft pile chenille carpets in 1839. Templeton bought out Quiglay’s interest in the patent and began in business in a rented factory in King (later Redan) Street. Two of James Templeton's brothers-in-law joined the firm, bringing with them extra capital for investment, and by 1851 the firm employed 400 people.
When the King Street factory burned down in 1856 the company moved to William Street (later renamed Templeton Street) in Bridgeton. With the introduction of new and cheaper carpeting, Chenille carpets became less important to the company as time went on. However, production was not halted until 1970.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
carpet manufacturers, carpet manufacturing, carpets, chenille carpets, James Templeton & Co, women