Dyeing the yarn for carpets at Templeton's carpet factory in Bridgeton.
James Templeton (1802-1885) was a draper who worked in Glasgow, Liverpool and Mexico before establishing a business in Paisley making shawls. In 1839, as the fashion for Paisley shawls faded, he set up as a carpet manufacturer in King (later Redan) Street in partnership with William Quigley, an Irish weaver. James Templeton & Co became a huge success and in 1856 moved to their famous Templeton (originally William) Street factory on the edge of Glasgow Green.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
carpet manufacturers, carpet manufacturing, carpets, dyeing, James Templeton & Co