The beam engine at Kelvingrove House.
In 1870 the City Industrial Museum opened in Kelvingrove House. The museum collected and displayed objects which illustrated engineering and manufacturing in the local area, past and present. In 1876 a new wing was added to the museum to house the Technology collections. Kelvingrove House was demolished in 1899, but the new wing was left standing for another two years before it too was demolished. In 1902 the collections were put on display in the newly built Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
Some of the historical engines owned by the City Industrial Museum were displayed outside Kelvingrove House. To the left is the engine from the paddle steamer Industry, built in 1814. To the right is a James Watt type beam engine.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
beam engines, City Industrial Museum, Industry, Kelvingrove House, Kelvingrove Park, museums, paddle steamers, parks, policemen, ships, steam engines