A Sentinel Steam Wagon belonging to Archibald Brechin, c 1920s.
Alley & MacLellan was an engineering firm formed in 1875 by Stephen Alley and John MacLellan. Their Sentinel Engineering Works opened in London Road but soon moved to Polmadie. The firm developed the Sentinel trademark, which they used to brand a wide range of engineering products for use on land and at sea.
In 1903, Alley & MacLellan took over the Shropshire company, Simpson & Bibby, who made steam lorries, and moved the works to Polmadie. After two years development work the Sentinel Steam Wagon was launched. The Sentinel brand already had a good reputation, and the new lorry was a great success. Production was switched to a new plant in Shrewsbury in 1915.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Alley & MacLellan, children, Sentinel Engineering Works, Sentinel Steam Waggons, Simpson & Bibby, steam lorries, steam wagons